Thursday, August 30, 2018

Book Talk: The Money Answer Book by Dave Ramsey

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash
Dave Ramsey wasn't a name that I was familiar with until I started to get into personal finance. Now, it's a name that I see everywhere, so when The Money Answer Book became available at my library, I checked it out. It took me a little over an hour to read, and I feel like I learned quite a bit. I'm by no means suddenly Team Ramsey, but I do think he a good well of knowledge. This was an interesting taste of his financial opinions, and I'd recommend it to see if his values and goals line up with yours.


While I certainly did not agree with everything that Ramsey said (particularly about how no one is ever capable of using credit cards without going into debt), the one thing that really stuck with me was his answers concerning Traditional IRA and Roth IRA. Those are terms that I've read several times over now, but was still confused on the difference. But now I know that a Roth IRA is right for me, and I'm going to start one! Immediately! Thanks, Dave Ramsey!

 "You need to be willing to be weird. Weird is when you live sacrificially in the present, pay off your past, and invest in a financially peaceful future."

This quick book covers lots of topics, but only just briefly. It was a great way to get an introduction to a lot of topics in very little time. And now I am interested in seeing what he has to say in his full length book Total Money Makeover. Ramsey has a straightforward tone which makes for an easy and engaging read. However, he did come across as preachy at times. Can we please leave religion out of general finances?

No comments:

Post a Comment