Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Welcome to Angie's Venture!

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Hello, fellow humans (and unicorns)! And welcome to my newest blogging endeavor, Angie's Venture.


What is Angie's Venture?
It's the place where you'll find my successes and failures in becoming financially independent while earning a low-income wage. Well, I do hope to find a better paying job, but let's say that my starting point is low-income. Most of the early retirement and financial freedom bogs that I've read are run by people who started out with relatively high income. Like over $60,000. I earn about a third of that.

My aim is to add a different perspective on saving for (early) retirement. After discovering Mr. Money Mustache I was suddenly excited about saving money. I thought "Hey, I can do this!" Sure, he and Mrs. MM started out several years earlier than I did and with way better paying jobs. But the Mustachian principles really do apply to everyone: live frugally, save as much of your take home pay as possible, be nice to the planet, and invest well.

Well, I can do those first two things right now! I can cut back my spending and put that extra money away! I can do this! I'm actually a bit ahead in this department, since I live with my parents, already paid my rent and cell phone through all of 2019, and have approximately 4 months wages saved up. I really can put almost all of my paychecks into my savings.

The investing part will come later, once I actually have something to invest. And by invest, I don't just mean stocks and bonds. In fact, my first "investment" will be paying off my ~$17,000 student loan. After that, I'll look into the stocks and bonds.

As for that third point, I do consider myself an environmentalist by nature but sadly not a very good one in practice. I do what I can, but I know I can do more. I will do more!

So, can a single girl earning roughly $22,000 a year, with no assets, and $17k in debt join the early retiree club? Stick with Angie's Venture to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment